A basic and easy spiritual pose to practice meditation and breathing exercises. This asana is pronounced as soo-kah-sah-nah, Sanskrit- सुखासन (Sukhasana).
Sukh-Easy or Pleasure| Asana-Pose
This pose is also called as Pleasure Pose or Easy Pose. Anyone can sit in this pose for a long time, so it is called Easy Pose. The Sukhasana is very simple to perform for people of all ages for physical and spiritual wellness. In Asian countries like India, people would take their meals sitting on the floor in Sukhasana. Therefore, it is becoming popular in India and regarded as an easy pose.
Benefits of Sukhasana
- This pose helps to elongate your spine while gives a good stretch to your ankles, knees and calf muscles also.
- Releases stress, anxiety, depression and calm your brain and mind.
- Improves posture and strengthens your spine and upper back.
- Broadens your collarbones, chest, and opens up your hips.
- Helps to enhance your condition of peacefulness and serenity.
[amazon_link asins=’8186336141,B06Y4M1RPZ,B0123N58KS,B01MEFTEAK,B01N4EQ3BS’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’rakesh4pradha-21′ marketplace=’IN’ link_id=’5677557f-bec7-11e7-9acc-970dfd393cc8′]
If you have any recent medical concerns, discuss with your doctor before practising this yoga pose. Practitioners suffering from a knee or hip injury should avoid this pose. If you have a slipped/spinal disc problem, use cushions to feel comfortable during the pose.
Steps to do a perfect Sukhasana
- Sit on a flat surface with your spine erect and legs stretched out.
- Now, cross your legs such that your shins are crossed and knees are wide.
- Ensure to place each foot under the knee. Bend your knees and fold your legs towards your torso.
- Your feet must be relaxed and the outer edges must rest on the floor, while the inner edges must arch on your opposite shin.
- You can see a triangle formed by your crossed shins and thighs.
- Ensure a comfortable space between your pelvis and feet. Your pelvis must be in a neutral position.
- Balance your pubic bone and tailbone in such a way that they are equidistant from the ground.
- Now, place your hands on your knees with a mudra of your own choice.
- Ensure to keep your head straight, spine erect, and lengthen your tailbone towards the floor.
- Breathe deeply and hold this position for as long as you feel comfortable.
This asana is a meditative pose, so it’s always advisable to practice this pose in the early morning. If you don’t find time during the morning, it can also be practised during the evening time. Practitioners who can’t sit in advanced postures like Padmasana for the meditation, Sukhasana is the best alternative.
If your hips are tight, then do not sit flat on the floor. Use a block, pillow or a blanket to prop yourself. When you lift your hips above the level of your knees, then your hips, knees and back get the required comfort. You can also practice this pose seated in a chair or sit with your back supported against a wall if you find yourself having extremely tight hips.
Mudras are practised while sitting in Sukhasana as described above in the procedure. There are different types of Mudras and each has various benefits. It activates the energy flow and helps to release your stress and keeps you calm. Some of the Mudras that work wonders with the Sukhasana are Chin Mudra, Brahma Mudra, Chinmayi Mudra, Anjali Mudra and Adi Mudra.
This is one of the best poses to sit in meditation if you are stressed and need peace. Now, don’t wait. Enjoy your yoga practice and have an awesome day! If you feel this article is helpful to you then share your experience with us by commenting below. We would be happy to hear from you!