Long working hours or extended time of inactivity induces back pain which starts from the neck and then spreads to other parts of your body. Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose) helps to remove that discomfort in your back muscles by strengthening it and provides relief instantly. (Featured Photo Credit- yoga.com)
Setu- Bridge | Bandha- Lock | Asana – Pose
This asana is pronounced as SAY-tuh-bun-DHAHS-ana.
Bridge posture reflects a bridge shape created by your body in the full version of the pose. This pose is one of the best exercises to keep your spine and brain healthy. You just need a yoga mat and lots of willing power to practice this asana.
Benefits of Bridge Pose
- This pose strengthens the back muscles and relieves the tired back instantly
- Improves digestion and relieves the symptoms of menopause and menstrual pain
- Provides stretch to the chest, neck, and spine and improves metabolism
- Helps to reduce thyroid disorders and helpful in asthma, high blood pressure, and sinusitis
- Calms your brain and reduces stress, anxiety, and depression
If you have any recent medical concerns, discuss with your doctor before practicing this yoga pose. Do not practice this pose if you are suffering from neck or back injuries.
Steps to do perfect Bridge Pose
- Lie on the floor with knees bent and directly over heels.
- Place arms at sides, palms down. First, inhale and then exhale and press feet into floor as you lift your hips.
- Make a fist with your hands under lower back and press arms down.
- Lift your hips until thighs are parallel to the floor, bringing chest towards the chin. Stay for few breaths. Relax and repeat for 3-4 times.
- Practise Pawanmuktasana after this asana as a counter pose to get best results.
Do not turn your head to the right or left when you are in this pose. It can cause neck injury. Never force your body to go deeper into this pose. Just enjoy the journey and with regular practice, you will gain the flexibility.
Enjoy your yoga practice and have an awesome day! If you feel this article is helpful to you then share your experience with us by commenting below. We would be happy to hear from you!