Uric acid is a waste produced by the body during break down of substances or final oxidation of purines. It normally carried in the blood, passed through kidneys and excreted in urine. Uric acid formation in the body is normal and it acts as an antioxidant and helps to prevent damage to our blood vessel lining. But, high level of Uric acid is harmful to our body. It happens when excess uric acid concentrates in the blood. This can happen mainly due to poorly functions of kidneys, pre-existing medical conditions or due to nitrogen carrying compounds in the body. The symptoms of the high level of uric acid include Gout, the formation of kidney stones, fatigue, and joint inflammation. Uric acid levels get increased with the consumption of foods rich in purines.
Gout is a joint inflammation arthritis caused due to a higher level of uric acid in your body, overweight, drinking of a lot of beer and due to eating a lot of meat. The symptoms include sudden burning pain, stiffness, swelling in a joint, sharp pain in your big toe, etc. Pain comes rapidly in less than twelve hours. But, you can manage gout and reduce the level of uric acid in your body with the regular practice of Yoga poses, lifestyle alterations, and diet changes. Diet always plays an important role in controlling or reducing uric acid in your body. It is always advisable to keep down the consumption of foods that are high in protein, urine content, calcium, and purine content.
The high uric acid level may result in Gout problems but it’s important to remember that not everyone who has high uric acid gets gout and not everyone with gout has high uric acid. You should consult with your doctor before doing any treatment or yoga practice.
Let’s find out some of the best and effective yoga poses which helps to reduce the level of uric acid in your body and alleviate the pain. The regular practice of this asanas prevents uric acid crystals from depositing in the joints, removing it and helping to prevent a flare-up.
- Sitting half spinal Twist (Ardhamatsyendrasana)
This pose stretches shoulders, hips, and back. It also helps to calm the nervous system and tones abdomen.
- Sit up with the legs stretched out, keeping the feet together and the spine erect.
- Bend the left leg and place the heel of the left foot beside the right hip.
- Take the right leg over the left knee and place the left hand on the right knee. Keep the right hand behind you.
- Twist your waist, shoulders, and neck towards right look over the right shoulder.
- While keeping your spine straight, continue long breath in and out.
- While exhaling, release the right hand first, then release the chest and waist. Release your neck and sit relaxed. Repeat on the other side.
- Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
- Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
- Halasana (Plow Pose)
- Trikonasana (Triangle Pose)
- Paschimottanasana (Seated Forward Bend Pose)
- Viparita Karani (Legs-up-the-wall pose)
This pose stretches the back of the legs, calms the mind and nervous system and provides better relaxation. It also regulated blood flow and improves digestion.
- Lie down flat on your back in supine position.
- Position your buttocks closer to the wall as much as possible and then Inhale slowly and deeply.
- Rest both your legs on the wall while keeping them straight.
- Tilt your toes towards your body until you feel the pressure on your hamstrings.
- Stretch both your hands on either side of your body.
- Hold the position with regular breathing for at least 2-3 minutes.
- Sarvangasana (Shoulderstand Pose)
- Vrikshasana (Tree Pose)
A perfect posture to improve your balance and strengthen your back and legs.
- Place your right foot high up on your left thigh. The sole of the foot should be flat and placed firmly. Keep your left leg straight and find balance.
- While inhaling raise your arms over your head and bring your palms together.
- Ensure that your spine is straight and take few deep breaths.
- Slowly exhale and bring your hands down and release your right leg.
- Repeat the same procedure with the other leg.
- Tadasana (Mountain Pose)
A simple yoga which helps in improving your focus and concentration.
- Stand tall with feet together, shoulders relaxed and arms at your sides.
- Take a full deep breath and raise your hands overhead, palms facing each other and arms are straight towards the sky.
Uric acid levels can vary based on sex. Normal values for women are 2.5 to 7.5 mg/dL and for men it’s 4.0 to 8.5 mg/dL. Normal range varies from lab to lab based on the testing method they used. Usually, the normal range is 3.5-7.2 mg/dL but some labs have up to 5.7 mg/dL as the upper limit.
Diet tips for Gout
- Being overweight increases the risk of developing gout, and losing weight lower the risk of gout. So, practice yoga regularly to reduce weight.
- Eat more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, which provide complex carbohydrates.
- Avoid foods such as white bread, cakes, candy, sugar-sweetened beverages and products with high fructose corn syrup.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking water. An increase in water consumption has been linked to fewer gout attacks. Aim for eight to 16 glasses of water a day.
- Cut back on saturated fats from red meats, fatty poultry, and high-fat dairy products.
- Limit daily proteins from lean meat, fish and poultry to113 to 170 grams. Add protein to your diet with low-fat or fat-free dairy products, such as low-fat yoghurt or skim milk, which is associated with reduced uric acid levels.
- Avoid meats such as liver, kidney, and sweetbreads, which have high purine levels and contribute to high blood levels of uric acid.
- The metabolism of alcohol in your body is thought to increase uric acid production and beer is associated with an increased risk of gout and recurring attacks. So, avoid alcohol and beer.
- Vitamin C may help lower uric acid levels. Talk to your doctor whether vitamin C supplement fits into your diet and medication plan.
- Eating cherries is associated with a reduced risk of gout attacks.
Yoga helps in managing weight, improves flexibility, circulation, and prevents the formation of uric acid crystals from depositing in the joints, removing crystals that are already deposited in the joints by mobilizing and excreting them from your body. It can also help to detoxify the kidneys for better uric acid excretion and can enhance lymph flow at the joints to reduce painful gouty inflammation as a natural gout treatment.