Have you suffered frequent stomach pain and difficulty in bowel movement throughout the day? Isn’t it really annoying and uncomfortable? You must have been feeling like when shall I get relieved from this situation? This is a symptom of a disease called Constipation. This is a daily affair and finds commonly with people of different ages.
Constipation means different for different people. It may be just a passage of hard stool or for some people, it may be an untimely stool. This mainly happens due to the unhealthy lifestyle. Let us know some of the main causes of constipation.
- Intake of much junk food
- Less time for rest
- Less intake of water
- Inappropriate work hours
- Diet less on fresh vegetables, food low on fiber
Symptoms of Constipation
This varies from people to people. Let us find out some of the common symptoms of this disease.
- Straining while having bowel movement
- Abdominal pain, cramps and aches in stomach
- Infrequent or few bowel movements
- Passage of hard or small stool
- Bloated stomach
There are various ways to cure constipation. You can visit a doctor and take laxatives and other treatments. But, prevention is always better than cure. Therefore, yoga plays an important role to achieve this objective. Regular practice of Yoga helps to revitalize your body. In addition, it also increases the flow of blood and oxygen into your body system. Since the practice involves pelvic movements, it takes care of infrequent bowel movement. As a result, straining and bloating of the stomach gets prevented.
So, let’s find out 7 best yoga poses which would help you provide relief from constipation and normalize the infrequent bowel movement.
- Pawanmuktasana (Wind Relieving Pose)
Wind Relieving Pose massages the abdominal muscles, intestines and internal organs of the digestive system. Therefore, releases the trapped gases, improves digestion and alleviates constipation. Acidity and bloating problems also get reduced. It also helps in relieving acid reflux which is caused by indigestion. Know more
- Halasana (Plow Pose)
Plow Pose strengthens the immune system of your body and improves digestion and appetite. It provides comfort to your liver and intestine. Regular practice of this pose helps to improve the blood circulation in the pelvic area and boosts digestion. Know more
- Ardha Matsyendrasana (Half Spinal Twist Pose)
Half Spinal Twist Pose helps to detoxify the internal organs and increases the circulation of blood. It also helps to calm the nervous system and tones abdomen. Therefore, helps to improve the bowel movement and relieves constipation. Know more
- Baddha Konasana (Butterfly Pose)
Butterfly Pose improves the blood circulation throughout your body and stimulates the abdominal organs, bladder, and kidneys. Moreover, it also helps to improve your digestive system and relieves gas, cramping and bloating of the stomach. Most of all regular practising of this pose helps to reduce stress, which aids in improving the digestion. Know more
- Mayurasana (Peacock Pose)
Peacock Pose helps to build abdominal muscles, arm strength, and balance. It increases the blood circulation in the abdominal area. Therefore, helps to detoxify the body, tone the digestive organs and remove the constipation problems. Know more
- Supta Matsyendrasana (Supine Twist Pose)
Supine Twist pose is very helpful for digestion and providing constipation relief. The twisting motion of this pose massages the intestines and detoxify the body. In addition, it stimulates the blood flow to your gut, which improves the digestion.
- Lie on your back and draw both your legs up to the chest.
- Extend the left leg straight out, bend your right leg and bring it to the left across your body.
- Ensure to keep your back and shoulders pressed against the floor and look towards the right.
- Hold this pose for few breaths, release and relax.
- Repeat the same procedure on the other side.
This asana is a combination of twisting and relaxing pose. It relaxes the body and relieves the tension trapped in the abdomen.
- Balasana (Child’s Pose)
Balasana helps to relax the muscles of your body and restores your physical, mental and emotional balance. This pose also promotes blood circulation throughout your body. You fold at the abdomen and this helps to massage the digestive organs. Though it’s a non-twisting pose, it helps to relieve the acid reflux and constipation. Know more
Some useful tips to control constipation and improve the digestion.
- Drink 10 to 12 glasses of water every day. This helps to detoxify your body.
- Develop a regular eating habit and chew foods properly before swallowing.
- Ensure to make a habit of bowel evacuation early morning every day.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits, salads and leafy vegetables.
- Drink warm lemon juice mixed with honey in the morning to clean the bowel.
- Eat fiber-rich fruits and vegetables like orange, papaya, beans, etc.
- Don’t exert pressure to empty your stomach.
- Avoid non-vegetarian and junk foods.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol to keep yourself healthy.
- Keep yourself out of stress, anxiety and depression.
- Practice yoga regularly for few minutes.
Now, you know all the details about constipation and how to prevent this situation. Regular practice of yoga will only take 10-15 minutes from your daily schedule and give you instant relief from constipation and acid reflux. While you practice yoga, include proper diet in your routine as mentioned above.
Enjoy the practice of Yoga and Pranayama to prevent constipation. If you feel this article is helpful to you then share your experience with us by commenting below. We would be happy to hear from you!